Online sessions now available.Kristian S. Nibe - clinical psychologist and ISTDP practitioner.
Treatment of social anxiety.
It is possible to overcome social anxiety if you want help, are motivated to overcome it, and dedicate yourself to the change process even though it seems difficult.
The form of therapy that I practice alternates between psychodynamic, cognitive, metacognitive, and behavioral approaches. The main focus is on a psychodynamic understanding of social dynamics and relationships, in addition to a focus on the intrapsychological mechanisms that triggers and maintains the anxiety.
I also have as a central focus to teach you how to understand the difference between feelings and anxiety and how to regulate these, dysfunctional defense mechanisms you are using, dysfunctional behavioral patterns, and underlying assumptions that keep the anxiety alive.
Our conversations are characterized by an active dialog where you will receive continuous feedback and where we will analyze specific situations both in your present life and in your past so that you will get a thorough understanding of how and why the anxiety got triggered based on how you relate to yourself and your own feelings, your assumptions and behavioral patterns, and how you relate to and view other people.
We will discuss concepts regarding social dynamics so that you clearly see what feelings are triggered, and how you can relate to those and to other people more constructively.
We will also draw parallels to previous events and relationships and understand how relational patterns and defense mechanisms have evolved over time as a response to past relationships and attachment bonds. This doesn’t necessarily mean to dig in the past for the sake of digging in the past, but with the purpose of gaining greater understanding of how and why you have evolved to who you have evolved to. The main focus will in most cases still be relationships in present life.
During the therapeutic process we will cover:
* How to regulate anxiety and find inner calm in social situations.
* Why the anxiety gets triggered in the first place and how it is linked to unconscious feelings in the body.
* What function defense mechanisms and behavioral patterns have and how you can change the dysfunctional ones towards more constructive ones.
* How you can challenge negative and inhibiting thoughts and assumptions that sustains the anxiety, and how you can substitute them with more constructive thoughts, attitudes, assumptions, and behavioral patterns.
* New ways to communicate your feelings and ways to relate to other people.
* How you can challenge and face social situations that trigger anxiety rather than avoiding such situations.
* New and more powerful and constructive ways to view social situations and the dynamic between people.
* The reasons why anxiety around people has developed.
* Constructive ways to understand your thoughts and worries, and learn how you can observe and sort out your thoughts more effectively and constructively.
We will not initially schedule a lengthy therapeutic process upfront, but rather take one session at a time. From session to session you are the one that sets the agenda and choose what you want to focus on. We will explore problems that you want help with, and what these problems actually are is up to you to decide.
The duration of this process will vary from person to person. Psychotherapy never guarantees a positive change, but the majority experiences significant progress within a relatively short time-span, usually 3-10 sessions.
The outcome of this process depends first and foremost on your own motivation and to what extent you enter the sessions with resistance to explore feelings and thoughts, or if you come to sessions prepared and willing to explore these aspects of yourself.
Also, positive change depends on your willingness to use the concepts we discuss in your daily life. Application of new behaviors and thought patterns and the discipline to challenge yourself outside your comfort zone leads to progress and greater mental health.
Online consultations available.
Use the contact form below for any inquiries. Please state briefly the nature of your problem, when and how you are available, and how you prefer to conduct payment (Credit Card or PayPal).
Consultations are available for either 45 minutes or 90 minutes, and are conducted by video either through Skype or appear.in. Alternatively I also offer sessions through chat/e-mail.
The price per 45 minute consultation is 160 Euro. The price for a 90 minute consultation is 300 Euro.